Keeping in alignment with its philosophy of developing young players, the MJHL will limit the number of 20-year-olds a team can register to eight players, effective this upcoming season. Moving forward, teams will be limited to seven and six, 20-year-olds for 2019-20 and 2020-21, respectively.
This was one of several items approved recently at the league’s annual Board of Governors meeting.
Other notable items passed:
- The league Board of Governors approved a Motion that requires all clubs to broadcast their home games in HD quality on the Hockey TV broadcast service that is available for all league games.
- Teams will each play a 60 game balanced schedule (30 home, 30 away) with each team playing each other team six (6) times over the course of the season. The regular season will begin on September 21, 2018 and the playoffs will begin on March 8, 2019.
- The Board of Governors approved a Motion appointing Mr. Darren Russell of Killarney, MB as Chair of the Board and Mr. Dale Deschouwer of Portage la Prairie, MB as Vice Chair of the Board.
- The Board of Governors approved a Motion that will see the league’s annual award presented to the top goaltender be renamed the Ed Belfour Top Goaltender Trophy effective for the 2018 – 2019 season.
- The MJHL will once again participate in the SJHL/MJHL Showcase at the Cooperators Centre in Regina, January 13 – 15, 2019.
- The MJHL wishes to announce that its annual Prospects Development Camp will be held at Seven Oaks Rec Centre in Winnipeg on July 26 – 29, 2018.
- The MJHL wishes to announce that the fifteenth annual Old Dutch Player Showcase will be held December 9 – 12, 2018 at the Seven Oaks Rec Centre in Winnipeg, MB. The schedule for the Showcase will be released when the regular season schedule is posted later in June.