By Derek Holtom
MJHL Web Correspondent
Did you take the RBC Cup quiz? Wondering how your answers fared? Here are the questions again – this time with the answers.
1. This is the second time Portage la Prairie has hosted the RBC Cup. What other Manitoba communities have hosted the RBC Cup/Centennial Cup?
Besides Portage, Winnipeg/Brandon area hosted the event in 1973, Winnipeg hosted it in 1992, Flin Flon (of the SJHL) hosted it in 2001, and most recently, Dauphin hosted it in 2011.
2. What famous Alberta family had three members take part in the RBC Cup/Centennial Cup in the same year?
The Sutter family of course – Brent, Rich and Ron all played with the Red Deer Rustlers in 1980. Not surprisingly, they won the national title that year.
3. What team has won the most national championships?
The Vernon Vipers/Lakers have won six titles – all since 1990. That beats out the Prince Albert Raiders, who won all their titles between 1977-1982 before moving into the Western Hockey League. You have to wonder how many more titles Prince Albert might have won had they remained in the SJHL.
4. What team has the most appearances at the RBC/Centennial Cup?
That would again be the Vernon Vipers/Lakers, with 10 appearances. Tied for second are two teams with six visits each – The Weyburn Red Wings and the Pembroke Lumber Kings.
5. What’s the longest game in RBC Cup history?
Back in 2007, the Prince George Spruce Kings and the Camrose Kodiaks went FIVE overtime periods before the Spruce Kings won 3-2.
6. Three teams have qualified for the RBC/Centennial Cup and not managed to earn a win. Name those teams.
The Abbotsford Flyers, Thornhill Rattlers and the awesomely-named Dartmouth Fuel Kids are a combined 0-11 in the national championship tournament.
7. What Stanley Cup champion, who played for the Philadelphia Flyers, Carolina Hurricanes and St. Louis Blues, was named the MVP of the 1988 Centennial Cup?
Ottawa native Rod Brind’Amour was named MVP in 1988 while playing for the Notre Dame Hounds. He also went on to win a Selke Trophy two times for being the top defensive player in the NHL.
8. What is the last MJHL team to win a national junior A championship?
The Selkirk Steelers won all the way back in 1974, a year after the Portage Terriers captured the title. Since then many teams have come close, but no MJHL team has won it since.
9. Of the five teams at this year’s RBC Cup, who is the most recent national champion?
In 2012, the Penticton Vees edged the Woodstock Slammers 4-3 to win the RBC Cup.
10. What is the last host team to win the RBC Cup?
Many host teams make it to the finals, but the last host team to actually take home to the top prize is the Weyburn Red Wings, who beat the Camrose Kodiaks 3-2 back in 2005. Ten years later, the Portage Terriers are hoping to repeat the feat.