On behalf of Kim Davis, MJHL Commissioner:
The members of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League held their Annual General Meeting weekend recently. Successful meetings were conducted beginning on June 7 and continuing through to the morning of Sunday, June 9. The highlights of the meeting activities are as follows:
- The Board of Governors wish to announce one change to the league staff. Mr. Kyle Prystupa has been appointed as Manager, Media & Communications effective immediately. Mr. Prystupa will replace Mr. Brian Smiley who has served the MJHL with dedication and professionalism for eleven years.
- A successful schedule making meeting was held on June 8. The eleven member clubs will play a 60 game balanced schedule playing each other team six times (3 home, 3 away). The 2019 – 2020 regular season will begin on Friday, September 20 and conclude on Sunday, March 1, 2020.
- The dates for the Old Dutch Player Showcase have been changed and the event will be held earlier in the season. The league Showcase will take place at Seven Oaks Arena in Winnipeg, MB and begin on Sunday, September 29 and finish on Tuesday, October 1.
- The third edition of the SJHL/MJHL Showcase will be held at the Cooperators Centre in Regina, SK once again. The dates for the All Star format event are January 21 and 22, 2020.
- The MJHL is excited to announce that they will be forming an elite team to participate in the Sirius Russia Junior Club World Cup in August 2020 in Sochi, Russia. Further details about the MJHL’s participation in this prestigious event will follow during the 2019 – 2020 season. The AJHL will be representing Canada at the event in Sochi for the current year’s event in the month of August, 2019.
- As a follow up to a Board of Governors decision made last year, the member clubs will be permitted to roster a maximum of seven (7) 20 year-old players for the 2019 – 2020 season.
- The MJHL Draft of 15 year old Manitoba players was held on Sunday, June 9 and was a huge success. For the third consecutive year the Draft was conducted using the state of the art RinkNet Live Draft Centre technology provided by Hockey Tech Canada. This year’s top draft pick was Luke Robson who was selected by the Wayway Wolverines. Luke is a forward who played the 2018 – 2019 season with the Southwest Cougars of the Bantam AAA League.
We look forward to a promising 2019-20 season!