The Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL) is seeking a dedicated hockey professional to serve in the newly created position of Director of Operations.
This is a full-time role and will be based out of the league office in Winnipeg. The successful applicant must have a significant and successful level of experience at either the Junior A level, university, college or professional hockey. Ideally, you will possess a post-secondary university/college degree, or an equivalent background in management in a Junior or professional hockey organization.
The successful applicant must have a proven track record of teamwork and cooperation with colleagues/suppliers/other organizations and be highly motivated. You must be proficient in the use of all contemporary office/business programs (Microsoft and/or Mac systems). Proficiency in the use of all social media platforms would be an asset.
Interested individuals, who are committed to excellence in your work, are encouraged to submit a detailed resume and cover letter no later than 4 p.m, Friday, May 20. Please forward all materials related to your application via email to the attention of Mr. Kim Davis, MJHL Commissioner at email@example.com.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate with the Commissioner in the on-going development and implementation of a vision and strategic plan to guide the MJHL
• Identify, assess and inform the Commissioner of internal and external issues that affect the MJHL
• Act as a professional advisor to the Commissioner on all aspects of the MJHL’s business activities
• Foster effective teamwork between the Commissioner and league office staff, suppliers, member teams and volunteers
• Work with member teams to identify needs and develop solutions to meet those needs and generally ensure the MJHL office is working on behalf of all member teams
• Search out new innovations and trends in the sport of hockey and communicate those findings to the Commissioner
• In addition to the Commissioner, act as a spokesperson for the MJHL
• Represent the MJHL at community, local, regional and national events to enhance the MJHL’s community as required
• Work to ensure that all member teams feel valued, respected and listened to or “heard” by the league office
• Report to the Commissioner of the MJHL
• Participate as a non-voting member of the MJHL Management & Finance Committee and take part in all MFC meetings as required
• Carry out the league goals and policies as laid out by the MJHL Bylaws and Rules and Regulations as approved by the MJHL Board of Governors and as directed by the Commissioner
• Assess, evaluate and implement the MJHL Discipline Regulations with a primary focus on the Junior A Supplement as approved by the MJHL Board of Governors
• Work with the Commissioner to assess, evaluate and implement all MJHL Hockey Operations regulations as approved by the MJHL Board of Governors
• Direct and coordinate the work of the MJHL Department of Officiating. This includes working with the MJHL Director of Officiating to ensure the long term effectiveness of the MJHL Officiating program.
• Attend league games, tournaments, meetings and other relevant events as directed by the MJHL Commissioner
• Review and approve all trades between CJHL teams and MJHL teams
• Ensure all league trades and suspensions are entered onto the MJHL website and communicated and posted to all relevant public sources
• Manage and update all aspects of the league’s player protected list (PPL) database ensuring timeliness and accuracy
• Monitor the league website scoreboard for every game during the season. Follow up with corrective action if required.
• Ensure that all players and team staff are properly registered and approved on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR) prior to participating in any league games
• Ensure that all league teams are compliant with HCR training on a yearly basis. Work with Hockey Manitoba staff to ensure HCR compliance.
• Prepare and organize all league Board meetings including the Annual General Meeting in conjunction with the Commissioner
• Recording and preparation of all Board meeting minutes including conference calls. Distribution of meeting minutes to league members.
• Participate in the implementation of all elements of league special events in conjunction with the Commissioner. This includes the annual Showcase, the annual Draft and the annual Schedule meeting
• Assist the league Commissioner as required and directed
Please note that only those persons selected for an in person interview will be contacted. References will be required and will be contacted. These may be submitted with the application. Compensation package including vacation will be negotiated based on the selected applicant’s experience and qualifications.